The Quality Assurance (QA) team at the IRIS DMC is tasked with monitoring the quality of the IRIS DMC seismic data archive and providing resources relating to data quality to the earth science community. On this page you will find information on general QA practices, MUSTANG metrics and PDFs, and links to QA related products and services at the DMC.
QA Related Web Services, Products, and Software
Web Services and Client Tools
MUSTANG, Modular Utility for Statistical Knowledge Gathering: seismic data quality metrics and Probability Density Functions (PDFs).
- Introduction to MUSTANG
- MUSTANG Databrowser , a web based MUSTANG metrics plotting tool
- LASSO , a web based station performance tool utilizing MUSTANG metrics
- MUSTANGular , an interactive map viewer of station metrics
Global ShakeMovie synthetics at the DMC
Global ShakeMovie synthetics at the DMC event listing
R Package on CRAN, IRISMustangMetrics is the official public release of R code used by MUSTANG to calculate metrics.
ISPAQ, software for calculating MUSTANG-style seismic data quality metrics on a local machine.
PQLX, open-source software seismic trace and PDF viewer.
Data Problem Reports – search submitted data problem reports by station and network. This is not an exhaustive listing of all data problems that may exist in the archive.
Citations and DOIs
To cite the MUSTANG system or reference the use of MUSTANG metrics:
- Assuring the Quality of IRIS Data with MUSTANG
Robert Casey, Mary E. Templeton, Gillian Sharer, Laura Keyson, Bruce R. Weertman, Tim Ahern
Seismological Research Letters (2018) 89 (2A): 630-639.
There is a Message Center List available to provide a forum for QA discussion by the community (subscription required):
And a Message Center List for MUSTANG-related announcements (including service outages and downtimes, etc.):
Issues regarding Quality Assurance at the IRIS DMC can be addressed to this Message Center List :
IRIS DMC QA Staff can be contacted directly at:
Frequently Answered Questions
There are currently 5 Quality Assurance related questions:
- How accurate are the USArray Transportable Array instrument orientations?
- Why does the data I downloaded from a USArray TA station look crazy?
- Someone told me the USArray TA data has gaps. Is that true?
- Does IRIS perform quality assurance on the data it receives?
- What does the M, D, R, or Q character mean in my data file name?
There are currently 4 Quality Assurance tutorials: