Thread: Installing rdseed

Started: 2014-07-30 21:42:30
Last activity: 2014-07-30 21:58:28
Topics: SAC Help
Greg Brenn
2014-07-30 21:42:30
Hi,

I'm installing rdseed on Mac OSX 10.9.4, to read .SEED files into SAC.
Following instructions in the README file, I am having trouble making
rdseed executable. Here's what I've done thus far.

1. Requested/Downloaded rdseed from IRIS. Unpackage the tar file-- makes
new subdirectory /rdseed5.3.1 on Desktop. I rename directory to /rdseed.

2. Currently, my /sac folder is in /usr/local. I copy the mac executable
into /usr/local/rdseed with command:
*$ cp -p rdseed.mac.x86.64 /usr/local/rdseed*

Then, when trying to run rdseed, the command isn't found. My guess is that
the $PATH to rdseed wasn't set. If so, what's the last step to set the
path, so that I can run rdseed from terminal -bash? This will be extremely
helpful, as it'll help me understand how to set up environments for future
software.

Thanks,
Greg

• Robert Casey
    2014-07-30 19:40:34

Hi Greg-

Simple alternatives that do not require changing your system configuration:

Run rdseed as:

/usr/local/rdseed

OR

cd /usr/local
    ./rdseed

In the second case, placing a 'dot'-'slash' before the executable name means 'look in my current directory'.

Otherwise, rdseed needs to be placed in a directory that is found on your $PATH environment setting. Sometimes that is more trouble than its worth, but my guess is that placing rdseed in /usr/local/bin would allow it to be found.

-Rob

On Jul 30, 2014, at 11:42 AM, Gregory (Greg) Brenn wrote:

Hi,

I'm installing rdseed on Mac OSX 10.9.4, to read .SEED files into SAC. Following instructions in the README file, I am having trouble making rdseed executable. Here's what I've done thus far.

1. Requested/Downloaded rdseed from IRIS. Unpackage the tar file-- makes new subdirectory /rdseed5.3.1 on Desktop. I rename directory to /rdseed.

2. Currently, my /sac folder is in /usr/local. I copy the mac executable into /usr/local/rdseed with command:
    $ cp -p rdseed.mac.x86.64 /usr/local/rdseed

Then, when trying to run rdseed, the command isn't found. My guess is that the $PATH to rdseed wasn't set. If so, what's the last step to set the path, so that I can run rdseed from terminal -bash? This will be extremely helpful, as it'll help me understand how to set up environments for future software.

Thanks,
    Greg

• Arthur Snoke
    2014-07-30 21:58:28
    Assuming you are just using the binary provided, follow the instructions in the README file excpet you are using the Mac binary instead of the Linux binary:

If your operating system is Windows, Mac OSX, Linux or Solaris, move the appropriate file a directory
    in your path, perhaps renaming it to rdseed. For example, if your operating system is Linux and you
    want to put it in /usr/local/bin, the command would be:
    cp -p rdseed.rh6.linux_64 /usr/local/bin/rdseed

If you do not have a /usr/local/bin, you can put it in yourSACHOME/bin file, and if sac is in your PATH, rdseed will be as well.

On Jul 30, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Gregory (Greg) Brenn wrote:

Hi,

I'm installing rdseed on Mac OSX 10.9.4, to read .SEED files into SAC. Following instructions in the README file, I am having trouble making rdseed executable. Here's what I've done thus far.

1. Requested/Downloaded rdseed from IRIS. Unpackage the tar file-- makes new subdirectory /rdseed5.3.1 on Desktop. I rename directory to /rdseed.

2. Currently, my /sac folder is in /usr/local. I copy the mac executable into /usr/local/rdseed with command:
    $ cp -p rdseed.mac.x86.64 /usr/local/rdseed

Then, when trying to run rdseed, the command isn't found. My guess is that the $PATH to rdseed wasn't set. If so, what's the last step to set the path, so that I can run rdseed from terminal -bash? This will be extremely helpful, as it'll help me understand how to set up environments for future software.

Thanks,
    Greg

13:51:03 v.22510d55