[iris-bulk] Subduction Zone processes union session at Joint Assembly

Andrew Newman anewman at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:51:24 PST 2007

We are soliciting abstracts for presentations for the following UNION
session at the AGU joint Assembly, 22-25 May 2007.
(Please note that abstracts are due no later than 1 March!)

U08: Processes Controlling Earthquake Potential of Subduction Zones

The shallow subduction zone environment is responsible for ninety
percent of all great earthquakes and can generate massive tsunamis. A
surge of interest in large megathrust earthquakes followed the
disastrous 2004 Sumatra event. Megathrust events raise new questions,
such as: What are the similarities and differences between them? Are all
subduction zones potential scenarios of megathrust earthquakes? How does
interseismic strain accumulation evolve before the next major event? How
does this relate to episodic and continual creep, and interface
rheology? With advances in understanding of interface processes, are we
gaining new insight about the unique character and potential of
megathrust earthquakes?
	We encourage submissions that incorporate and integrate seismology,
geodesy, and modeling, in order to better image or understand processes
of subduction zones. Particular emphasis will be on observational and
theoretical studies of earthquake seismology, ground deformation, fluid
flow, heat exchange, and related phenomena. We intend to emphasize
multidisciplinary studies that synthesize techniques and/or data to
provide unique insights into a more complete understanding of
seismogenesis along the subduction environment.

Conveners:
  R. Bilham, C. Lomnitz, C. E. Elliott, A. Newman, & J. Stankova
--
Andrew V. Newman                anewman at gatech.edu
Assistant Professor
School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Georgia Institute of Technology
311 Ferst Drive               Office: 404-894-3976
ES&T, Room 2254                  Lab: 404-385-2050
Atlanta, GA, 30332-0340          Fax: 404-894-5638
http://shadow.eas.gatech.edu/~anewman