[iris-bulk] SSA-07 Special Session: Planetary Seismology and Geophysics

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Wed Jan 10 07:39:46 PST 2007

Dear Colleagues:

Please note the following special session for the 2007 SSA meeting in
Hawaii. Online abstract submission closes this Friday, January 12.

Spinning Straw Into Gold: Improving Our Understanding of Planetary
Seismology and Geophysics With New Methods and New Data

This session explores recent developments in the study of planetary
and solar seismology and geophysics. Since the original acquisition
and analysis of the lunar seismic data 30 years ago, new
methodologies have evolved that may enhance our understanding of
planetary structure and related seismic phenomena. With the new
initiatives for missions to the Moon, Mars and beyond, we are poised
not only to re-examine existing extraterrestrial data with modern
methods, but we also have an opportunity to guide the acquisition of
new, high-quality data through experimental design and instrumental
specifications. Geophysical and seismic measurements will and should
be part of future missions. This session provides a forum for
discussions that may influence the scientific plan for such missions,
not only lunar and Martian, but also ideas relevant to other efforts
such as the Messenger mission to Mercury. We invite contributions
addressing instrumental development, old and new data sets !
  and advances in analysis techniques applied to solar, lunar and
planetary seismological and geophysical research.

Youshun Sun                            			Charlotte Rowe
Earth Resources Laboratory             	Los Alamos National Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology  	EES-11 M.S. D408
77 Massachusetts Avenue                		Los Alamos, NM 87545
Cambridge, MA 02139
youshun at mit.edu                        		char at lanl.gov