[iris-bulk] 2008 IRIS Workshop Website

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Fri Feb 8 15:31:46 PST 2008

The 2008 IRIS Workshop website is now available and can be viewed at:

www.iris.edu/iris_workshop

Registration will open February 18.

The 2008 IRIS Workshop opens with sessions on integrative science,
including integration of active- and passive-source seismological
imaging with mineral physics and other Earth sciences, as well as
transformative uses data from USArray, including the Transportable
Array that is already "rolling" across the Rocky Mountains towards the
Great Plains. The first evening features an after-dinner talk on Earth
science visualization through immersive computer graphics and modern
dance.

Appropriately during the International Polar Year, Thursday includes a
plenary session on Polar Region geophysics, incorporating IRIS
facilities developed for IPY. In the afternoon, participants can shrug
off the cold on a field trip to sites of landslides, floods, and
earthquakes - and learn how natural disasters have shaped modern
viticulture. The second evening features an after-dinner talk on
parallels between seismic analysis and music appreciation, followed by
live music.

Turning from Earth structure to earthquakes, the Workshop concludes
with posters and plenary sessions on the rapidly developing field of
episodic tremor and slip, and on new synergies between geophysical
monitoring and Earth science research. The final evening should
feature a traditional IRIS barbeque - but we'll keep our fingers
crossed against the rain that forced our last barbeque at Skamania
indoors!

IRIS Workshop Chairs
Suzan van der Lee - Northwestern University
John Vidale - University of WashingtonPlease paste your message here.