[iris-bulk] AGU Meeting of the Americas - U13: The Haiti 2010 earthquake

Eric Calais ecalais at purdue.edu
Wed Mar 10 14:17:30 PST 2010

Dear colleagues,

Please consider contributing a presentation to the 2010 AGU "Meeting
of the Americas" in session U13: The 2010 Haiti Earthquake, Lessons
for Seismic Hazard and Societal Impacts in the Caribbean. The meeting
will be held at Foz do Iguassu, Brazil, August 8-13, 2010. You will
find detailed information at: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja10/.

This Union session on the Haiti earthquake aims at providing up-to-
date scientific information on this event, its geological and
geophysical context, but also at discussing the broader perspective of
seismic hazard in the Caribbean as well as implications for seismic
hazard policies, earthquake education, and earthquake science
diplomacy. We hope to see you in Brazil in August.

Please keep in mind that the deadline for abstract submission is March
31.

Best regards,
Eric, Claude, Jean-Bernard, Jaime

========
The 2010 Haiti Earthquake, Lessons for Seismic Hazard and Societal
Impacts in the Caribbean

The catastrophic Haiti earthquake occurred in an area where seismic
hazard (as given by GSHAP) was not reported as being high, in spite of
identified active faults. The extreme vulnerability of the population
was a major factor in the intensity of damage. We invite papers on all
aspects of this earthquake and implications for seismic hazard in the
Caribbean: earthquake source properties, regional strain modeling and
potential for future earthquakes, seismic hazard policies, and new
monitoring strategies. We also encourage papers discussing how
scientific information is best conveyed to decision makers.

Conveners:
Jean-Bernard Chabalier, IPGP; Observatoire Volcanologigue et
Sismologique de Guadeloupe, France
Eric Calais, Purdue University, USA
Claude Prepetit, Bureau of Mines and Energy, Haiti
Jaime Urrutia Fucugauchi, Universidad Nacional A de Mexico
========

Eric Calais, Professor                                         Voice:
(765) 496-2915
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           Fax: (765) 496-1210
Purdue University                                                ecalais at purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA                         http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais