[iris-bulk] Your Help Requested for IRIS PASSCAL Program Manager Search

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:48:22 PDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

We are asking for your help in identifying outstanding candidates for
a new Program Manager for the IRIS Program for Array Seismic Studies
of the Continental Lithosphere (PASSCAL). Over the past 25 years,
PASSCAL has become a cornerstone facility for the US academic Earth
Science community and has helped stimulate a new era of seismological
field experiments around the world. Jim Fowler, the current (and
founding) PASSCAL Program Manager, was instrumental in making this
happen and he plans to remain with IRIS in a support position as we
transition to new leadership.

In the years to come, PASSCAL will need experienced, forward thinking
leadership to help it continue its current activities while also
working creatively to take the program into the future. This person
will be instrumental in navigating issues such as identifying
technological advances for next-generation portable instrumentation,
developing solutions for evolving needs of the PASSCAL community,
merging parts of USArray with PASSCAL core operations, and identifying
funding to sustain and grow PASSCAL facilities and activities.

Finding this person won't be easy, and we ask for your help (yes,
you!) in identifying and recruiting strong applicants. We are
interested in applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, both
within and external to the seismological community.
Please bring this exciting opportunity (see http://www.iris.edu/hq/employment)
  to the attention of candidates you see as the future leader for
PASSCAL. The Chair and members of the Search Committee also welcome
any comments or suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance for your efforts in helping us find the
right person for this vital position.

Program Manager Search Committee
Anne Sheehan (chair) - University of Colorado
Matt Fouch - Arizona State University
David James - Carnegie Institution
David Okaya - University of Southern California
Steven Roecker - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Lara Wagner - University of North Carolina
Richard Allen - University of California, Berkeley
Susan Beck - University of Arizona
David Simpson - IRIS Consortium