[iris-bulk] Forum on the frequency dependence of seismic Q

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Fri Sep 17 12:23:43 PDT 2010

Dear Colleague,

I want to inform you of an important forum on the "Frequency
Dependence of Seismic Q" in the journal Pure and Applied Geophysics
(PAGEOPH)." The first phase of that forum is now in place with the
on-line publication of a prologue and two papers on the PAGEOPH
web link.

Prologue by B. Mitchell - 10.1007/s00024-010-0180-3
http://www.springerlink.com/content/66005367hwt97310/

Article by I. Morozow - 10.1007/s00024-010-0100-6
http://www.springerlink.com/content/62u717hu0rlu4h35/

Article by J. Xie - 10.1007/s00024-010-0188-8
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w2r05p8u0504t78t/

The two authors, Igor Morozov and Jiakang Xie, have long been
prominent in seismic Q studies. They take different sides in a debate
on the merits of a new method developed by Dr. Morozov for inverting
seismic attenuation data and on the reality of features in the
resulting  Q models.

I invite you to read the papers and to join us in the second phase of
the forum by submitting a one- or two-page comment on the merits (or
lack thereof) you assign to the new methodology. If you wish to
participate please send your comment to me, on an email attachment, at
bmitche8 at slu.edu by October 15th. There will be no publication cost
for your submission. PAGEOPH will publish all accepted comments (with
light review) in its December issue so it is important to submit your
comments by the due date.

Brian Mitchell