[fdsn-wg2-data] StationXML location code

Sleeman, Reinoud (KNMI) reinoud.sleeman at knmi.nl
Tue Sep 9 14:02:42 PDT 2014

Dear Chad,

thank you for your positive reply - I'm really glad to read that IRIS DMC agrees on accepting
the empty location ID in SEED to be represented with an empty string in StationXML.

I realize this will require efforts to change  the DMC web services - and I sincerely regret
this as it takes time and manpower - and a transition time is needed. Thanks for taking care
of this in smooth way, both for the users and for the FDSN.

I agree there is a diversity in arguments and views on this topic, but I believe the call for
the empty string was most favourable in common. Also important for me was to enforce
a decision as the call for defining a standard was required by many, both in the mails
and also off-line discussions. Personally I believe the justification I gave is the valid
one in the strict sense, and I counted my (unweighted) vote as well. I have not seen
any counter argument afterwards.

Concerning modifications in (mini)SEED I believe the working group is open for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Reinoud