[OBSIPtec] Another marine seismic opportunity

Kasey Aderhold kasey at iris.edu
Tue Nov 3 14:09:50 PST 2015

Forwarded on behalf of:
Anne Tréhu
Oregon State University
trehu at coas.oregonstate.edu <mailto:trehu at coas.oregonstate.edu>

Perhaps you were interested in an immersion course in marine seismic
data acquisition and processing but the timing for previous calls for
participants did not fit your schedule. Your are in luck - there's
another chance!  We are looking for graduate students and early career
researchers to participate in an expedition to source region of the
April 1, 2014 earthquakes off northern Chile.  Gravity data suggest
remarkable correlations between crustal structure and earthquake
activity during this sequence of earthquakes, which partially filled a
previously recognized seismic gap.  During a cruise on the R/V Marcus
Langseth in late spring, 2016, we will deploy ocean-bottom seismometers
and acquire deep-crustal multichannel seismic reflection and
large-aperture data to develop a crustal model for the source region.
  Watchstanders will gain experience in the acquisition and processing
of seismic reflection data, large-aperture data from ocean bottom
seismometers (OBS), and multibeam bathymetry.

We will sail from northern Chile in late April/early May and return to
port 45 days later.  Exact dates of departure and return are pending
decisions on other cruises in the region. Travel costs to and from the
ship will be covered. This cruise is the first phase of an international
collaborative study, and the science party will include scientists from
the US, Chile and Germany.

If you are interested in this adventure and are reliable, hard-working,
and eager to experience the camaraderie of close quarters at sea, please
send your CV, including at least 2 references, and a one page statement
of interest to Anne Tréhu at Oregon State University by December 15,
2015 (trehu at coas.oregonstate.edu).