[OBSIPtec] Long-Term Seafloor Seismographs SIG at AGU - Dec 13, 4 - 5:30 p.m.

Kasey Aderhold kasey at iris.edu
Thu Nov 16 07:45:55 PST 2017

Message from the WGLTSS:

    IRIS is pleased to announce a SIG meeting on Long-Term Seafloor
    Seismographs (LTSS) to be held at the 2017 AGU Fall Meeting in New
    Orleans.

    The scientific needs of global and regional seismology require
    long-term (2 to 5+ years, ~permanent), high-quality, telemetered
    seismic observations from key seafloor sites in order to complement
    existing high-quality permanent stations on land.

    The LTSS SIG is scheduled for Wednesday, December 13th from 4-5:30
    pm Dauphine I & II rooms of the Hampton Inn & Suites / New Orleans
    Conference Center, and is being hosted by the WGLTSS (IRIS Working
    Group on Long-Term Seafloor Seismographs)

    This SIG will provide an opportunity for community members who are
    interested in the deployment of "long-term" high-quality broadband
    seismic stations on the seafloor. Planned topics of discussion include:

     1. Review of current proposed and planned seafloor station or array
        deployments, including length of deployments, relevant to
        long-term, continuous monitoring.
     2. Review of potential scientific targets and observations, e.g.
        recording seismic phases, great earthquakes, etc.
     3. How long does a site need to be continuously occupied to gather
        enough relatively short-period mantle and core phase data from
        large earthquakes?
     4. Discussion of scientific observations that require deployments
        longer than 18 months.
          * What can we observe over 5 years that we cannot observe over
            18 months?
          * What can we observe over 10 years that we cannot observe
            over 5 years?
     5. Pros and cons of short-term "arrays of stations" versus
        deploying one high-quality station for a longer period of time.
     6. What array configurations are needed to see the details of
        large-scale deep earth structures that have been partially
        resolved with global tomography?

    Those interested in attending are asked to [e-mail Katrin Hafner -
    katrin at iris.edu] so that we may get an approximate head count for
    catering and room setup.  Responses before Thanksgiving would be
    greatly appreciated. Information about the charge of the WGLTSS is
    available at http://www.iris.edu/hq/about_iris/governance/wgltss

    Thanks, and we hope to see you there!

    Monica Kohler, WGLTSS Chair
    Jeffrey Park, GSN SC Chair

--
Kasey Aderhold, Ph.D.
Project Associate | IRIS TA/OBSIP Management
202-407-7019 | kasey at iris.edu