[OBSIPtec] Observations from the sea floor: instrumentation, networks, processing and analysis

Agius M. matthew.agius at soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 01:59:12 PDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D3C0FB.43717670]

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention and invite you to submit an abstract to the session
S04 Observations from the sea floor: instrumentation, networks, processing and analysis<http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/Sessions_n#S04>
http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/Sessions_n#S04
to be held during the 36th General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission in Valletta, Malta, 2-7 September 2018.
See http://www.escmalta2018.eu<http://www.escmalta2018.eu/> for conference information.

Session outline:
Ocean bottom experiments are on the increase with a growing number of experiments across the planet. In recent years, there have been significant advancements on both the technical and the scientific side, which have increased the overall success of such deployments. On the scientific side, these experiments are giving seismologists, geophysicists, geologists, geochemists and also oceanographers the opportunity to explore new, previously-unreached regions to answer important questions about plate tectonics, offshore seismicity and ocean-seafloor interactions. On the technical side, seafloor stations are becoming more reliable, and record better quality data.

In this session, we welcome contribution for oral and poster presentation about all aspects of Ocean Bottom Seismometers (OBS) and multidisciplinary seafloor observatories, including instrument design, site selection, deployment, quality control, data archiving, processing and results. Contributions about stand-alone, permanent online and real-time underwater stations and early warning systems are also welcome.

Conveners:
Matthew R. Agius, University of Southampton, UK
Catherine A. Rychert, University of Southampton, UK
Nicholas Harmon, University of Southampton, UK
Christopher J. Bean, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Ireland
Martin Möllhoff, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Ireland
Francesco Italiano, INGV Palermo, Italy
Abstract submission is open until 31 March 2018 through the conference website (http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/call-for-abstracts)

Please accept our apologies for possible multiple posts.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Malta!

Matthew, Catherine, Nicholas, Chris, Martin and Francesco

[cid:image002.png at 01D3C0FB.43717670]