[sac-dev] Patch to make our build system support VPATH builds

Kuang He icrazy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:11:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM, George Helffrich <george at gly.bris.ac.uk> wrote:
>        VPATH is notoriously nonstandard among BSD, GNU and Sun make.
>  Suggest that you validate its functioning on all those systems.  If
> problematic, it might be too much hassle to make work right, despite being
> potentially attractive for simplifying maintenance.

Dear George,

Thanks for pointing this out. I've only tested VPATH builds using GNU
make on linux only, and it worked. I don't have Solaris or Mac
machines, so is there anybody who can help me test this patch on
different operating systems other than linux (hopefully using both GNU
make and other make programs)? Thanks!

It is already stated in the `Readme.buildsac' file that `the build
goes best with GNU development tools, specifically the GNU gcc and the
GNU make'. I hope that my patch will at least work with GNU make on
different systems. Hopefully it won't cause problem when using other
make programs.

I really like this feature since I can keep my source tree uncluttered
this, and I don't need to make copies of the source tree (which is big
and has thousands of files) at anytime.

Best regards,

--
Kuang He