[SAC-HELP] intel mac and fortran

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Sat Aug 19 09:53:57 PDT 2006

Georgia,

Before I get to your question/situation, please share where you got your
gfortran compiler from.  I am told that this version is the first one that
has "acceptably fast" I/O.

1.  I am told that applications written for a PPC can run on the Intel
mac.  The translation is done using "Rosetta."  Applications will probably
run much slower, but they will run.  Hence you are able to run the PPC
compiled version of sac 100.0 from March 2005 on your intel mac.

Version 100.1 that came out in July 2005 has command-line editing using
the libedit package.  Libedit has at least one dynamically loaded library.
It would be interesting to see if that version, compiled on a PPC, could
run on the intel mac.  That version can be gotten from IRIS by the same
procedure as you got 100.0.

2.  I do not think the emulation capabilities goes to the extent of
libraries, like sacio.a.  That is, sacio.a built on a PPC cannot be used
to build programs on an intel mac.  In addition to the endian difference,
one has to use a Fortran compiler configured with a gcc 3 compiler, as
that binary version of sac 100.0 was built using gcc 3.  George Hellfrich
sent a link to a URL that should allow you to build a g77 that is
configured with gcc 3, but that will not help you until you get a sacio.a
library built on an intel mac.

3.  An earlier posting reported failure in an attempt to build sac from
sources on an intel mac.  Researchers at IRIS are looking into this.

4.  I have a PPC with 10.4.7.  I am using gcc 3.3 and g77 configured with
gcc 3.4.6.  I am told that g77 will not be supported in the future so that
one will eventually need to go to gfortran.  Hence my question above about
the source of gfortran configured with gcc 4.2 (experimental).  I think
there is no getting around the fact that one needs a sacio.a built
with the same level of gcc (3 or 4) as your Fortran compiler -- and with
the same endian.

Not sure how much help this is.  If you or anyone else see flaws with what
I have written, please share.

Arthur