[SAC-HELP] PLOT command

Robert Casey rob at iris.washington.edu
Mon Jun 5 09:39:11 PDT 2006

	Hi Leah-

	Mac OS X doesn't natively install or boot up X-Windows ready, but it
is easy to make is support X-Windows.  You need to have the X11
Client App installed on the Mac before you can have SAC send X-
Windows plots to the screen.

	If you do not have X11 Client already on your machine, then you need
to do one of the following.  For Panther (10.3), you can download the
X11 Client from the Apple website.  For Tiger, you can only install
the X11 client from the Install Disk.  It strangely comes as a second
install step under 'Optional Installs' or something like that when
the installation menu pops up.  The Panther and Tiger X11 Clients are
not compatible, so make sure you install the right one.

	Once you have X11 Client installed, you have to activate it by
double-clicking on the icon.  I keep X11 on my Toolbar for easy
access.  Otherwise, you'll find it in /Applications/Utilities.  Once
it is running, you will get an X11 term window on your screen.

	In the X11 screen, you have to turn on window permissions, and the
easiest way to do it is with the command 'xhost +', which just allows
all hosts to send X-Windows directives to your screen.  Then, in any
of your terminal windows, you want to set your DISPLAY environment
variable to <your-host>:0.0, or localhost:0.0.  At this point, you
can run SAC and your PLOT directives should work.

	You can shell script some of these operations to speed up your
startup of SAC.  I haven't tried scripting the startup of X11, but I
know that you can run .app files from the command line with the
'open' directive.

	-Rob