[SAC-HELP] Double Precision

Tim Ahern tim at iris.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 11:41:39 PST 2007

Greetings

We have a question for the SAC users group.  Recently a need to
support double precision floating point for data in SEED format has
been identified.
While SEED itself can support this, the problem comes with possible
output formats the rdseed program should support.  The most widely used
format is SAC format in our estimation.

Our question is, is it possible for SAC to support double precision
floating point values without loosing precision?  Would it be
extremely difficult to
add double precision support for SAC?  Even if SAC can not support
the format, would it make sense to have a double precision version of
the SAC Format, if
you understand what I mean by that.

One further question is, assuming that SAC and SAC format are not
ready for double precision and it would be difficult to support it...
what new format do you think we might consider supporting as an
output format for rdseed?  Do any of you have suggestions as to
possible ways to deal with double precision floats as an output
format?

Thanks for any help you can provide us.

Cheers
Tim

Program Manager, IRIS Data Management System
IRIS DMC
1408 NE 45th Street #201
Seattle, WA  98105

(206)547-0393 x118