[SAC-HELP] how does SAC define the header variable CMPINC, exactly?

Frederik Tilmann fjt21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 16:19:21 PDT 2008

Dear Valerie

as far as I know your interpretation is essentially correct except that I
am not entirely clear with what you mean by
>    * Therefore, the direction of the cmpinc vector *must* be relative
>      to the cmpaz vector AND that cmpinc vector corresponds to apparent
>      tilt along that vector (not absolute/maximum tilt for the whole
>      instrument in whatever direction that happens to be).

If you think of each component as a vector then cmpinc is the angle the
vector makes with vertical up, and cmpaz is the azimuth clockwise from
north of the horizontal projection of the component vector. It does not
make sense to talk about the cmpinc or cmpaz vector. For cmpinc=0 or
cmpinc=180 the value of cmpaz is irrelevant, of course. As far as I know
nowhere in SAC is cmpinc actually used except to check whether components
are horizontal for application of the "rot to gcp" command.

A few years back I wrote a SAC command to rotate an arbitrarily oriented
sensor (3 components needed to be perpendicular) into either VRT, ZNE, or
LQT system, and this command used cmpinc. This used the extern mechanism of
sac2000 but I am not sure whether this way of loading up user-defined
commands works with the more recent versions of sac. If you are interested
I can send you the source.

Regards
Frederik

--