[SAC-HELP] SAC/SACA file format verification

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Fri Mar 27 18:44:59 PDT 2009

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I'm the author of a free IRIS-supported Macintosh program called
SeisMac, which uses Mac laptops' built in accelerometers to convert
the laptops into (not very accurate) seismographs. You can find more
about it at <http://www.suitable.com/tools/seismac.html>.

I'm finishing off an update which will let you export selected data
as a binary SAC or ascii SACA file. I think I've got it right (Global
Earthquake Explorer successfully reads the SAC files), but I'd love
to have further confirmation. Would any of you be able to review
example files and tell me if I've made any format errors? Or, point
me to other tools which will read/validate SAC/SACA files?

I've uploaded the same set of data in three ways:

- Comma-separated values (all three axis):
<http://www.suitable.com/temp/SeisMacData.CSV>

- Binary SAC file (Z axis only): <http://www.suitable.com/temp/SeisMacData.SAC>

- Ascii SACA file (Z axis only):
<http://www.suitable.com/temp/SeisMacData.SACA>

(If you have a Mac laptop and would like to play with exporting data
yourself, the latest binary is at
<http://www.suitable.com/temp/SeisMac30b2.zip>)

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400