[SAC-HELP] SAC/SACA file format verification

George Helffrich george at gly.bris.ac.uk
Sat Mar 28 03:39:09 PDT 2009

Dear Dan -

	This will be a very useful SeisMac feature.  There are two minor
problems with the specimens that you provided:

	1) Undefined character values in the binary file should be padded with
blanks, not trailing zero characters, to their field lengths (8 or 16
characters, as appropriate);

	2) Undefined values should numerically be -12345.00 in the
alphanumeric file.

Something else you might think about are:

	3) I think that you can safely set IDEP to IACC (integer number 8) to
signify that the dependent variable is acceleration.

	4) The component naming fields KCMPNM for the traces don't follow FDSN
standards.  (See Appendix A of the SEED manual).  My reading of the
manual suggests that, for the sample rate shown, the channels should be
named with three-letter codes BNx, where x is the orientation letter.
N (middle character) is the code for an accelerometer.  ZNE aren't
useful because orientation can't be guaranteed.  XYZ are probably OK
for consistent usage with your program documentation, though they
aren't FDSN-endorsed.  FDSN would prescribe them to be 123 (orthogonal
but orientation not guaranteed).