[SAC-HELP] SAC on 64-bit Linux

Carl Tape carltape at fas.harvard.edu
Sun May 17 13:35:47 PDT 2009

17-May-2009

Dear SAC Help:

I am having trouble using SAC libraries for a particular Fortran code.  The
problem may be related to 64-bit vs 32-bit processing.  Here are the details of
my situation.

uname -a
Linux denali #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Computer Dell Inspiron 530
Platform Ubuntu 9.0.4

sac
SEISMIC ANALYSIS CODE [09/04/2008 (Version 101.2)]

gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

I see from this file
http://www.iris.edu/software/sac/SAC_History.txt
that SAC should be possible with 64 bit Linux.

And I can at least run sac and look at sac files, so something is working.

The particular Fortran code is the FLEXWIN package from CIG (I am one of the
main developers of this code):
http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/seismo/flexwin

I used this code throughout my thesis at Caltech.  Now, at Harvard on my new
setup, when I compile the code, the pertinent error message is as follows:

gfortran -O2 -Wall flexwin.f90 -o flexwin copy_float.o libmeasure2.a
-Lttimes_mod -L/opt/sac/lib -lsacio -lsac -ltau -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /opt/sac/lib/libsacio.a when searching for
-lsacio
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsacio
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [flexwin] Error 1

Qinya Liu (U. Toronto) is able to successfully compile the program with Ubuntu
but using a slightly older (32 bit?) computer and a slightly older Ubuntu
version:

Linux river #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:47:28 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

This led us to believe that the problem was 32-bit vs 64-bit.  Is anyone aware
of this problem?  Do I need to try to compile SAC from the source code on my
64-bit computer?

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks,
Carl Tape
Harvard U.