[SAC-HELP] About definition of Fourier transform

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:09:51 PDT 2010

If the forward fft has a +i, the unwrapped phase will increase with
frequency, for a -i (SAC convention) the phase will decrease.

An easy way to check is the following sequence:

SAC> fg seis
SAC> unwrap
  DC level after DFT is -0.98547
SAC> plotsp
Waiting

The plot displayed after "Waiting" is the unwrapped phase, which clearly
decreases with increasing frequency.

I have not used unwrap, and the HELP file says "The maximum length of data
that can currently be transformed is 4096."  The help file was last
updated in January 8, 1983,  If that limitation has been relaxed, the
unwrap command might be useful for some: "The data is filled with zeros to
the next power of two before being transformed.  You may specify a
larger number of zeros by using the FILL option."  My non-SAC program for
working with time series pads time series by a factor of 4 before the FFT.