[SAC-HELP] help with TRANSFER

George Helffrich george at gly.bris.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 17:42:03 PDT 2010

Dear Roger -

	Your polezero file probably has the wrong format.  This (not very helpful) error can come up when decoding the tables of data in that file -- my suspicion is that an integer or floating point value isn't specified correctly.  Check the file carefully, and if nothing seems apparently wrong, then cut out the bottom half of the file to see if the error persists.  If not, the problem is in the last half of the file.  If so, it is in the top half.  Iterate to isolation of the offending line.

	Lines beginning with '*' are treated as comments; that may help too in the debugging process.  Another helpful property to use debugging is that if pole or zero values are incompletely specified, they are treated as zeroes (e.g. ZEROS 5 with 3 zero values given implies two values zero; ditto for poles).  Comment values out and see what happens.

On 18 Mar 2010, at 20:44, Roger P Denlinger wrote:

> Hi,
>    I issue the following commands in sac:
>
> read [input_file.sac]
> transfer from polezero subtype [polezero_file] to vel
>
> sac resonds:
>   ERROR   1:
>
> Other variations that produce the same result are:
>
> Transfer from polezero subtype [polezero_file] to none
>
> Transfer from polezero subtype [polezero_file] to vel freqlim  .01  .03  5. 7.
>
> Rtr
> Taper
> Transfer from polezero subtype [polezero_file] to vel freqlim  .01  .03  5. 7.
>

> And so on.  All produce the same error message, and without taper there is no change to the data.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roger

          George Helffrich