[SAC-HELP] bug fix in readsac.m (missing fclose)

Warren Caldwell warrenc at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 14 16:05:59 PST 2011

Hi all,

I believe I've found a bug (unbalanced fopen/fclose) in readsac.m.

When I read in a large number of sac files in Matlab using F=readsac(*
list-of-files-tens-**long*), Matlab hangs and crashes. I fixed it in
sac-101.2/utils/readsac.m by adding an fclose statement as follows:

Original (first line is line 243):
     if ~ismember(B(7), 1:6) % non-native byte order
        [comp, mxsize, endian] = computer;

Changed:
     if ~ismember(B(7), 1:6) % non-native byte order
        *fclose(fid);* % close original 'fid' since we are about to create a
new 'fid'
         [comp, mxsize, endian] = computer;

Without this fclose, Matlab opens each file without closing the previous
one. I had to make the same change in sac-101.4/utils/readsac.m.

Cheers,
Warren

--
Warren Caldwell