[SAC-HELP] units of EVDP in SAC

Renate Hartog jrhartog at uw.edu
Wed Jul 20 09:53:38 PDT 2011

We (Pacific Northwest) sometime have small local earthquakes for which our
locator gives a depth < 1km. Explosions certainly can have depth < 1km. So,
George's scheme could potentially go wrong for those. However, it might be a
non-issue for him because the DMC doesn't keep track of small, local
earthquakes, i.e. there won't be any event information in the SEED file.
Larger ones probably always nucleate deeper than 1km.

The easiest (least change) solution is to leave EVDP in m and provide an
option to traveltime like Januka suggested. If the EVDP is a float field, it
could be in km, as you could specify a shallow depth as, e.g., 0.255 km.
Another thought is that with the advent of relative location algorithms,
depth differences on the 10-s of m scale might be resolvable for clustered
earthquakes and for that reason leaving the units stay "m" might be worth
it.

-Renate
Pacific Northwest Seismic Network
Seattle, WA