[SAC-HELP] units of EVDP in SAC

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Thu Jul 21 17:34:01 PDT 2011

> Suggest the command line option be named DEPTH <d> {KM | M} like the
> syntax for FUNCGEN IMPSTRING <m> <n> {SECONDS | POINTS}.

If I know in advance that EVDP does not have the default units, both my
suggested syntax for TRAVELTIME or Philip's taup routine have a mechanism
for dealing with that.  If I do not know the units, how would that option
help?

> But chatty commands are a nuisance when you're processing hundreds of
> seismograms in a macro loop.  Think again about *always* printing out
> the depth, or, if keen on that idea, add a TERSE option (as for RTREND).

I have not used SSS in my work so am not sure how TRAVELTIME is used in
conjunction with other commands.  TRAVELTIME operates on all waveforms are
in memory, so if one has read in 100 waveforms and does a sss ; traveltime
depth-m, one gets only the depth line once.  If one has a macro that
processes one waveform at a time, a single output line per waveforms would
indeed be there.  I suppose if one wanted that, one could port the output
to a file or to /dev/null.

rtr terse works in MACSAC, but not in IRIS/SAC.  Not a bad idea to have it
in IRIS/SAC  -- or just to leave out the printout as I have never found it
very useful.