[SAC-HELP] Installation of SAC 101.5; operating system issues

Sheila Peacock sheila at blacknest.gov.uk
Thu Nov 24 00:56:47 PST 2011

Dear Fiona,

I got the same message from the 64-bit version of the pre-compiled SAC.
The 32-bit version worked OK on an older 32-bit computer.  Sorry I
don't know how to get round the GLIBC version problem.  I have
had to compile up a working version of SAC 101.5 from the source code anyway
(because I had to modify one of the subroutines to satisfy local
needs here).  As these things go it was straightforward.  If your
system has the Gnu C compiler (type "which gcc" to see if it has)
then perhaps you can compile the source code with the default
settings, i.e. unpack the tar file of source code, type "configure" then "make"
then "make install" (you might need to be "root" to run "make install").
You will have to ask for the source code distribution from IRIS if you
didn't get it along with the precompiled binaries.

Actually I have simplified this too much.  This was the command I
issued to invoke the "configure" script:

configure --prefix=/sharedprograms/sac/v101.5/64c

The "--prefix=/sharedprograms....."
directed "make install" to install the completed SAC program into
/sharedprograms/sac/v101.5/64c which does not need me to be "root" for access.
My CentOS system seemed otherwise to have everything SAC needed
(in particular, "libpng.a", in the default places, fortunately.

Regards,
Sheila Peacock.