[SAC-HELP] Wiechert seismometer instrumental response

George Helffrich George.Helffrich at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 00:43:26 PDT 2015

Dear Maria Carmen Pro -

	Wiechert instruments had very large masses, giving them effectively a displacement response: i.e. instrument output is proportional to ground displacement.  The response built into SAC has:

Zeros: 2 at (0.,0.)
Poles: 2 at (-omega0*h, omega0*omega), (-omega0*h, -omega0*omega)

where omega0 = 2*pi/9.65, h = 0.403712752, and omega = sqrt(1-h**2).

Response source:  AMPLITUDE AND PHASE RESPONSES ARE COMPUTED FROM EQNS. (82), (98), AND (13) OF SOHON (1932), SEISMOMETRY, IN PART II OF INTRODUCTION TO THEORETICAL SEISMOLOGY, J. B. MACELWANE AND F. W. SOHON, JOHN WILEY AND SONS, NEW YORK.

	For a displacement response, the two zeros are puzzling.  However, that is what SAC has and I cannot offer any enlightenment as to why or whether it is truly correct.  An historical seismologist might be better equipped to explain.