[Webservices] example REST webservice

Hank Ratzesberger hankr at crustal.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:37:01 PDT 2005

An interesting article by Tim O'Reilly discussing the
so called "Web 2.0" says that REST fits well into the
its lighter-weight, easier to adapt/append principles:

Similarly, Amazon.com's web services are provided in two forms:
one adhering to the formalisms of the SOAP (Simple Object Access
Protocol) web services stack, the other simply providing XML data
over HTTP, in a lightweight approach sometimes referred to as REST
(Representational State Transfer). While high value B2B connections
(like those between Amazon and retail partners like ToysRUs) use
the SOAP stack, Amazon reports that 95% of the usage is of the
lightweight REST service.

http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/6228

One thing about REST is you can look at them with a browser.
This delivers the list of video streams with an
<?xsl-stylesheet ?> instruction so that browsers render formatted
html (but view/source and you'll see it's XML).

--Hank

Hank Ratzesberger
NEES Programmer
Institute for Crustal Studies