[Webservices] example REST webservice

Joanna Muench joanna at iris.washington.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:51:22 PDT 2005

Thanks for the links, Hank. Nice site and very interesting article.

The context in which O'Reilly places web services in his "Web 2.0" list
struck me as being very relevant to the SOAP/REST discussion. In "Web
1.0" the most common method of programatically extracting data from an
online source was screen scraping - manually creating an HTTP call
(either GET or POST) and then parsing the returned HTML. Having done
just that for a shopping comparison company (Netbot) early in the
dot-com era, I know from experience it was a painful and fragile
process. As soon as the merchant changed their site, even slightly, the
script would break (strangely enough, Netbot was never profitable). REST
is a huge improvement for such tasks.

By such tasks, I mean querying for data using a limited number of
variables, with the expectation of retrieving information of moderate
complexity or size. If the desired output is in HTML, all the better (as
long as you're okay with XSL - it makes some people I know break out in
hives). But, like everything in IT, there is no one solution to all
problems. For instance, if you want to ingest the XML into Java objects,
you may need a schema to create the object bindings, at which point
you're half-way to SOAP. Need to stream lots of data - you probably
don't want to be operating in the web services sphere at all.

The challenge (and the fun) of working in IT is coming up with as light
weight a solution to a problem as is feasible. Just about as light
weight as they come, REST is the most appropriate technology for many
problems. And it beats screen-scraping hands down!

Any other REST services out there? Or services that considered REST but
ended up with SOAP?

Joanna Muench