[webservices] New ws-bulkdataselect revision released

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:45:26 PDT 2011

Hi Philip,

We have discussed how to deal with versioned services/results including both of the suggestions you make below.  We landed at using different base URLs for major changes in API or content, either adding "v2" or changing the service name.

There is a balance to be struck between having numerous versions and too little versioning.  I disagree that "every change, even small ones, can and will royally screw your users".  Adding a parameter to a service and nothing else changes does not, in my opinion, warrant a completely new URL.  Likewise, adding a completely new element to XML results without changing the structure of the existing elements does also not warrant a 99% parallel service, wouldn't be very eXtensible if adding details broke a parser.

For the recent update here was the logic.  The change was relatively disruptive, we added a whole new <Network> level to the StationXML.  StationXML is not quite settled but is getting very close, so we don't expect this to happen much more often if at all.  The ws-station service is relatively new, most folks are using it with the Fetch* scripts we provide which were not effected because of the stream processing of XML (i.e. you are one of the few that are parsing it directly) so that limits the disruption.  In short, the impact of changing the results versus changing the URL in this case was not worth having a new service.  If, say, a year from now we need to do that big of a change and the adoption of ws-station is high we would probably make a new version.

StationXML will continue to evolve to match the needs of SCEDC, NCEDC, IRIS and USGS (and maybe the FDSN in the future).  At this point we do not expect large structural changes, but we do expect additions which should not break any real XML parser.

Chad