[webservices] defective miniseed

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:22:59 PST 2011

Hi John,

Unfortunately some older data has these integrity check (also known as reverse integration constant) errors.  These are in the miniSEED that we received from the network operator.

There have been many cases where the integrity check failed because the reverse integration constant was incorrectly written to the record and nothing is wrong with the time series.  On the other hand, if a record is corrupted somewhere in a software chain (or cosmic ray, etc.) this is the integrity check that will tell you something is wrong.  Basically it's not easy to tell if something is really wrong or not short of inspecting the time series for discontinuities, because of this it's hard to classify this as an error or a warning.

We'll bring this issue back to the network operator to see if they can get it fixed.  Thanks for reporting it.

Chad