[webservices] continuous data

Rich Karstens rich at iris.washington.edu
Tue Dec 20 08:41:43 PST 2011

Hi John,

The data in our archive is generally stored in files comprised of all
the channels of a station for a specific day.   Thus, there are
advantages to requesting 'blocks' of exactly one day.  Another
advantageous technique would be to request all channels for a particular
station in  the same request.  All of this pretty much comes down to
disk I/O, file seeks and parsing.

I'm sure we'd love to see any throughput numbers you come up with.

Hope that helps,

Rich