[webservices] ws-station and obviously wrong sensitivity

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Wed May 11 13:25:33 PDT 2011

Hi Philip,

The "obviously wrong" is the sticky part that's usually impossible to quantify and generalize.  As I'm sure you known, the root of this particular problem is that SEED does not have any way to mark values as "unknown" or null, for required fields this means filling in something bogus.  ws-station is not the appropriate place to be making judgements of the validity of response information, in general ws-station returns what's in the database.  In your response information for CSB the sensitivity for the sensor is set to 1, we wouldn't be comfortable filtering out responses based solely on that, some of them might be correct!

In the future, if we SEED standard adopts some way to represent unknown values or similar I can see us filtering stuff, we need good documented rules though.  For now problems like these are much better addressed upstream in my opinion.

Chad