[webservices] event web service

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Sun Nov 6 21:16:57 PST 2011

Hi John,

The intention is that the publicID will remain the same, in particular the integer event ID value will remain the same.

That being said the process of receiving updates is not as clear cut as one would hope.  For each event there are one or more origin and associated magnitude estimates.  In order to associate or group origins together by event  we currently employ a simple space-time envelope of 30 seconds and 0.5 degrees.  When a new origin arrives at the DMC our system searches the current primary origins for a match to this criteria and if a match is found the origin is associated with the other origin(s) for that event, otherwise a new event is created.  If more than one origin is submitted for the same event, the original association/grouping is retained.  Also, a simple algorithm based on catalog name is applied to determine which origin is the "primary" for the given event.  This process is completely automated.  It's not perfect but it does properly group most moderate to large earthquakes, when it does miss it usually means that we'll have more than one event ID for what was actually the same event.

Chad