[webservices] open source?

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:48:53 PDT 2012

Hi Philip,

We currently have no plans to release the source code for the services.  For the most part the actual web service code is straight forward, the complexities often lie in connecting them to internal systems which would not be appropriate, for example, for your own data set.  Also, we have details such as database schema & accounts and we are adding authentication capability, all of which we'd like to avoid sharing widely.  The alternative is to make a separate release devoid of the internal details, but then it's something to maintain that we don't actually use.  We recognize that it would be useful to provide a head start for other implementers of these services and we'll continue to think about how best to support such a thing.

Chad