[webservices] restricted data

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Wed Oct 17 20:33:40 PDT 2012

Hi John,

As a conservative estimate I would say that access to restricted data via web services should be in place in early next year.  I'm hopeful it'll be sooner but there are a lot of details involved.

As a bit of insight into what we're doing: the DMC old (current) access was not a good fit for access via services, a password was specific to a data set and shared between researchers.  We needed a new paradigm in which a users' personal password will give them access to all the data sets they are allowed to access.  At the same time we modernized the internal password management at the DMC.  A message has been drafted explaining the details to those users with restricted data sets, but in short you'll be able to use the same data web services and provide a username and password to get access to your data.  HTTP Digest Authentication will be used, it's standard and well supported by nearly all HTTP clients/toolkits.

Chad