[webservices] How to name a beta web service on the same system as a production service

Bruce Weertman bruce at iris.washington.edu
Thu Dec 5 14:51:50 PST 2013

Doug:

On tomcat startup there should be a system property set like

…. -DwssConfigDir=/mypath/confdir

The wss will then look in there for service config files.

So if your service was deployed to
http://myserver:8082/xyz/foo/2

The WSS would look for:

/mypath/confdir/foo-2-application.wadl
/mypath/confdir/foo-2-param.cfg
/mypath/confdir/foo-2-log4j.properties
/mypath/confdir/foo-2-service.cfg

When you do ps -eaf and look at the java process you should see something like " -DwssConfigDir=/mypath/confdir “ in there.
That’s how the wss figures out where to look.

You can’t run both beta and production together unless you name the services like

production /fdsn/dataselect/1
beta /fdsn/dataselectbeta/1

and then have config files like

dataselect-1-application.wadl
and
dataselectbeta-1-application.wadl

But I don’t think you want to do that!
You want it to look like

/fdsn/dataselect/1

/fdsnbeta/dataselet/1

So that requires at least two tomcats.

If you need to help setting up a bunch of tomcats, feel free to ask. I’ve got a nice way of doing it.

-B