[webservices] event query with catalog/contributor

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Thu Mar 14 14:24:14 PDT 2013

Hi Philip,

No, there is no way to select via a list of contributors.  This is also not part of the specification for the FDSN version of the service, and it's not an extension we plan on offering unless a more people ask for it (a comma-separated list would also mean comma's are disallowed in a contributor string, not really a big deal but a consequence to consider).  Honestly, the use case is pretty narrow and something like your suggestion of making two separate queries is probably more appropriate.

As for returning a 400 or 404, we will think on that a bit.  I think I understand your logic (the list of contributors is know and it could be checked), but I could extend that argument to networks, stations, locations, channels and perhaps more.  Should we return a 400 when a network is requested that we have no data for?  Or do we return "no data" (404 in the case of this service).

Chad