[webservices] fdsnws-event service - New Release

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Tue Oct 1 08:04:08 PDT 2013

Hi Philip,

That is correct.  We struggled with this one quite a bit and there is really no right answer.  The issue is that magtype can mean either what is searched on (as specified by the spec) but also specify what is returned.  If we change the logic to what you propose there will be no way to request only all magnitudes of a given type for events.  There are simply not enough parameters to separate these use cases unfortunately.  Understand that it remains quite easy to get all magnitudes without specifying any magtype for the server and doing more advanced selection downstream if needed.

It would be useful to hear from other users regarding what would be useful.  The 'magtype' parameter, per the specification, specifies which magnitudes should be used for matching the criteria (min and max).  Should the 'magtype' parameter also be interpreted as a selection of what to return?

thanks
Chad