[webservices] A question of location ID, how to represent empty IDs in XML?

Yazan Suleiman yazan.suleiman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:17:19 PDT 2014

Seed represents unidentified locations as “  “ [2 empty spaces] (This is a
limitation of SEED), while most (if not all) modern languages represent
such thing as NULL.   NULL does not equal “” or “  “ or “--“.  NULL is NULL
and should be represented as such.  While SEED is limited, XML is not.  Why
should we incorporate Seed limitations into any new XML schema.

Unidentified attributes (values=unidentified or not provided or null) are
omitted in XML.  When an attribute does not appear in the document, then it
is NULL (no confusion there).

In my opinion StationXml shouldn’t force me to provide a value for an
attribute that is unknown to me. While the purpose of StationXml schema is
to map between SEED and XML, limitations of Seed shouldn’t be carried over.

For historical data, software should take care of any conversion needed.
What you store in your database is outside the scope of StationXml.