[webservices] A question of location ID, how to represent empty IDs in XML?

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Wed Aug 13 15:12:29 PDT 2014

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Doug Neuhauser
> <doug at seismo.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>> IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SEED, THEN PROPOSE TO CHANGE SEED.
>>
>> - Doug N

Hi all,

In fact changing SEED is the ultimate goal, and while the proposal was to start that process with StationXML, Doug is correct that the core issue is with the SEED rules themselves.  With that, it's probably time to move any SEED-changing discussion to the FDSN mailing lists.  Thank you to the users that voiced your opinion, you are welcome to continue to chime in with thoughts here if you would like.

The idea of changing the schema type for locationCode to a token is appealing if that will help make the now 3 flavors of locationCode more compatible to XML-parsing clients.  We should discuss this more in the FDSN context, it might buy us more time to discuss and address the lower level issue.  Unfortunately it does not address the text output used by many.

Chad