[webservices] Major update to fdsnws-station service: new database and new location IDs

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Tue Jan 27 17:23:24 PST 2015

Hello everyone,

On February 4th (Wednesday next week) we are planning a major update to
the fdsnw-station service including these changes (and many smaller bug
fixes):

* Move to PPAS
* Change empty location IDs from two-space strings to empty strings (for
FDSN conformance)

To facilitate comparison of metadata we will not change the location IDs
in the beta station service until Monday.  After an update on Monday we
will be doing final testing of the service for functionality.

Regarding the move to PPAS we need a green light from Ops that the
database contents are ready.  This services uses the following table
sets: metadata including networks, virtual network, time series
(all_channel_summary), BUD tables, license tables.

If there are concerns from Ops regarding the database readiness or
otherwise we need to know now.  If we need to meet we should do so soon,
like tomorrow.  Let us know.

Regarding the change in location IDs we need to check a number of tools
to make sure they will work with the change.  To describe the change and
track status of packages there is a Wiki page here:

http://dmscode/projects/fdsnws-station/wiki/Representing_location_IDs_as_empty_strings

Chad, Adam, Robert, Yazan and Bruce all have things marked with their
name to check, please do so ASAP.  There are likely a few more, please
add them.\

Again if there are issues with the change please talk to me right away.

thanks,
Chad