[iris-bulk] Margins of the Americas: Slabs, plates, and keels

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Tue Mar 9 09:30:35 PST 2010

Dear friends and colleagues,

We would like to invite you to contribute to our session

Margins of the Americas: Constraining the interactions between slabs,
plates, and keels (T07)

at The Meeting of the Americas, August 8-13, 2010, Foz do Iguaçu,
Brasil.

Some of the most spectacular geology is related to the interactions
between slabs and cratonic keels. From Alaska to Chile, subduction
zones exhibit varied kinematics, slab morphology, and upper plate and
in-slab deformation. Slabs affect mantle flow, including upper mantle
small-scale convection, and the lithosphere, such as the North and
South American continental interiors. We seek contributions from
seismology, geodynamics, tectonics, and geodesy that focus on, but are
not necessarily limited to, studies of convergent margins of the
Americas.

Our distinguished keynote speakers will likely include

Rob Clayton (Caltech),
Muriel Gerbault (U Santiago, Chile/Nice U, France),
Vlad Manea (UNAM Mexico City), and
Stephane Rondenay (MIT).

The conference and our session promises to be an exciting venue for
stimulating discussions on similarities and differences between
convergent margins, along the American plates, and elsewhere. We hope
that you will join us!

Please note that the ABSTRACT DEADLINE IS MARCH 31. Links to relevant
sites are below, please contact us should you have any questions, and
apologies for any cross-postings.

Best,

Meghan S. Miller and Thorsten Becker
University of Southern California

Web links on the Information Superhighway:

- Meeting web site: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja10/

- Abstract submission:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja10/program/abstract_submissions.php

- Detailed session description: