[iris-bulk] IRIS Response to Chile Earthquake

IRIS irismail at iris.washington.edu
Thu Mar 11 15:00:00 PST 2010

Many members of the IRIS community responded to our request last week
for science targets and field volunteers for a PASSCAL deployment
following the Chile earthquake on February 27th.

A proposal for installation of 60 broadband instruments has been
submitted to NSF via their RAPID mechanism and recommended for
funding. The science rational in the proposal drew heavily from ideas
many of you provided. The deployment is being done as an "IRIS
Community" response and all data will be open and freely available.

We have established an initial team of five university members and
three PASSCAL Instrument Center staff who are ready to head to the
field next week for the initial deployment in the earthquake rupture
zone and environs. They will collaborate with the scientific staff at
the University of Chile and coordinate the instrument siting and data
exchange with a number of US and European groups who are also
installing seismic and geodetic instrumentation.

We plan to open a special page on the IRIS website next week that will
provide you with more information on the deployment and give news
updates from the field.