[OBSIPtec] OBSIP Functional Specifications Available

Robert Sohn rsohn at whoi.edu
Wed Jun 29 05:10:51 PDT 2016

Dear OBSIPtec -

My only comment would be that it would be very useful to have the
long-duration short period instruments be capable of determining the
orientation of the horizontal sensors. The most important benefit from
my point of view would be the ability to accurately determine/model
focal mechanisms for microearthquake studies. If the orientation of
the sensors is known then the amplitude ratios between  SV and SH
phases can be used to constrain the focal mechanisms, which is
essential for events with non-double-couple mechanisms - i.e., if the
orientations are not known it is not generally possible to constrain
non-DC events.

Rob

--
Robert Sohn