[SAC-HELP] sacio.a data size

John D. West jdw at fodoze.com
Wed Aug 1 20:53:00 PDT 2007

Hi.

I'm coding in C on Linux, using the sacio.a library.  How can I tell the
length of the data section of a sac file?  I thought it was supposed to
be in the NPTS header, but if I try to read with an undersize array,
NPTS returns the array size, not the data size.

Example:  I have a file with 25000 data points.  Not knowing the size in
advance, I size the array as float  fData[10000].  Using the syntax on
the web site to call rsac1( kname, yarray, &nlen, &beg, &del, &max,
&nerr, strlen( kname ) ) ; I provide fData[10000] as yarray and 10000 as
max.  When I read the NPTS header, it is 10000, as is the nlen and max
variables.  nerr returns 0, not -803 as documented for "number of points
in file is greater than max."

This gives me no way I can find to actually determine the size of the
data segment.  What am I doing wrong, and/or how do I work around this
problem?

Thanks!

     -- John