[SAC-HELP] Double Precision

George Helffrich george at gly.bris.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 23:40:59 PST 2007

Dear Tim -

	I would be helpful to know how the need for double precision floats
arises.  Bob Herrman makes the point that some time calculations are
better done with more floating point significant figures.  However
today's seismic datalogger makers are happy putting out data as
integers with 31 bit dynamic range.

	Would your needs be satisfied with a signed integer datatype in SAC
rather than double precision float?

	My own gut feeling is that handling double precision floating point
would be hard to do with SAC's present structure.  You could probably
bodge together a version that would read a double precision file, do
calculations internally in single precision, and write out double.
Whether this is satisfactory depends on your intended use, however.