[SAC-HELP] Calculating the CONSTANT to use to remove instument response

Melaku Ayenew mayenew at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:50:56 PDT 2009

Hi All,
I am trying to remove instrument responses from STS_2, CMG3T. CMG_ES
broadband instruments. I got the poles and zeros from IRIS Pascal
Instrumentation. But I have difficulty figuring out what constant I should
use in the *.pz file that has to read by the SAC TRANSFER command. For
example, I was trying to synthesis a WA seismogram by removing the STS_2
response and convoulating the WA response. I used a constant of 1 in this
calcultion. The synthesis seismogrm looks good but the displacemnt values
don't make sense (they are several hunderd meters). I understand it is
because of the CONSTANT=1 I put. My Question is How can I calculate the
correct CONSTANT that I need to put with the zeros and poles in the SAC *.pz
file. The IRIS PASCAL instrumentation page gives the zeros and poles and a
normalization factor.
I greatly appreciate your help in this matter.

Melaku Bogale
New Mexico State University
Department of Physics
Las Cruces NM 88003-8001