[SAC-HELP] a question about transfer command in Sac

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Sun Jul 12 13:15:32 PDT 2009

I have been working on the transfer function, so I looked at your example.

A few comments:

It is not clear which version of sac you are using, as your command is
sac2000.  It probably does not matter.

The command sequence

rmean
rtr

could be replaced by

rtr

only.  Try both ways and compare the lh output.

The command FREQ (short for FREQLIMITS) should have 4 arguments.  I am not
sure what it means if you put in only two.  I am guessing that you want
the filter response flat between 1 and 10 Hz.

Here is a run with settings I think do what you want.  I did not do all
the tests.  Recall that a second call to transfer with no FREQ will
probably use the values from the first time.  Not sure that is what you
want.

SAC> r 2000-08-03-0620-19S.TBZ___001_SP_E_TBZ___SP_E_SAC
SAC> rtr
  Slope and standard deviation are: -0.00089445 0.14512
  Intercept and standard deviation are: 0.13525 22.458
  Data standard deviation is: 1300.1
  Data correlation coefficient is: 5.3244e-05
SAC> transfer from polezero subtype ss1rd3_2.pz to WA FREQ 0.1 1.0 10.0
20.0
  Extracting polezero response for TBZ  SP , SP E    ...

Station (TBZ  SP ), Channel (SP E    )
         Waveform multiplied by 1.000000 after deconvolution.
SAC> p1
SAC> ppk
SAC> write wa.sac
SAC> quit

Let me know if you (aor anyone else) have questions about what I am doing
or claiming, as I want the next writeup on transfer to be both complete
and accurate.

Arthur Snoke