[SAC-HELP] HELP!

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Mon Jun 21 13:44:35 PDT 2010

> I'm having a SAC problem. I'm running a program to digitize paper
> seismograms. My digitization program saves the files I create as .SAC
> files. I got one digitized and saved it as .SAC but when I tried to read
> the file into SAC I got the following error:
>
>  ERROR 1318: Header in disk file is out of date:  myfile
>
>  Header version number is incorrect.
>
>  Header seems byte-swapped—byte-swap file and retry.
>
> I looked up sac help online and I got :
> http://www.iris.washington.edu/pipermail/sac-help/2010-March/000711.html
> but that didn't work =( SAC is telling me that sactosac -m is not a
> valid command.  I would really appreciate any help/ideas asap.

When you say you are writing it as a SAC file, what software are you
using?  Also, what version of SAC are you using?  The version of SAC
provided by IRIS (current version 101.4) can read either endian.  I find
that sactosac is a program (not command) in the MACSAC package, which is
not the same as IRIS SAC.  Even though it is no longer necessary, IRIS SAC
comes with a utility program sacswap that can switch endian.

The listed error message for the READ command in SAC are

- 0101: opening file
- 0108: File does not exist:
- 0114: reading file